Thursday, September 18, 2008

Potato Bowl

For all of you not from these parts (wow, that sounds hick-ish) here is the reason we have Potato Bowl in Grand Forks:

(I took this from The Grand Forks Herald)
In September 1966, the UND Fighting Sioux football team stomped Idaho State 41-0 in the first annual Potato Bowl football game, a tradition that started as a way to prove North Dakota’s potatoes are better than Idaho’s. Now, the tradition has changed, but Potato Bowl still celebrates potato production in the Red River Valley, the world’s largest producer of red potatoes.

Anyways, the 43rd Potato Bowl celebration was last week and this past weekend. Last Thursday we went to the annual French Fry Feed with 12,000 other people. Grand Forks shattered their own world record of pounds of potatoes used to make fries. I think it was 4,900 pounds. Ben was with some buddies of his in Southern MN playing video games over the weekend. So Peter, my parents and I went to the parade on Saturday morning and met up with some friends. After the parade my parents took Peter for the day/night and my friend, Carrie & I went to Whitey's, the Sioux FB game, Joe Black's & of course The Crosstown Lounge. It was a long day but full of fun, food, friends & some adult beverages! It has been many years since I have been here for Potato Bowl. It was so much to take part as an adult. Work has been really really busy lately so it was a much-needed day to let loose.

I am enjoying Northern MN/Eastern ND more than I thought I would... :D



Peter, Berta & I at the parade





Peter wearing my sweatshirt during the parade



Peter eating a sucker at the parade



Peter doesn't like loud noises so here's him covering his ears



Carrie, Amy & I after at the end of a very fun day & night