Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Surgery Update

I'm very sorry that I haven't posted an update until now. We were at the hospital pretty late last Thursday night and then all through the weekend we were busy tending to Peter...so this had to take a backseat! Then on Monday & Tuesday I was up in East Grand Forks because I had a couple of job interviews. They went really well and both are very promising. I'm not going to talk anymore about them because I do not want to jinx the whole situation. Now I just have to wait to hear and then I'll post any new information for you all to read.

On to Peter...
Surgery went well. The doctor told us that Peter's adenoids and tonsils were very big so he is really glad that we agreed to the surgery. After surgery Peter had a very hard time keeping anything down. He puked on me countless times. They admitted us into a room so that they could hook him up to a "better" IV and get the fluids in him since he was starting to get dehydrated. After he kept a popsicle down (and we had finally settled in and relaxed), they sent us home. Peter was up a lot at night throughout the whole weekend. He hasn't liked his medicines very much but he fights us less and less as time goes on. He loved the popsicles and juice--except our entire place is one big sticky mess. We are finally able to give him some other foods (mashed potatoes, pancakes, etc) so I feel like he will be nourished again. Ben's mom helped last Friday when Ben was working and Monday/Tuesday when I was out of town. Haley wasn't able to help so we needed another set of hands. Peter did really well with her so that's always good.

Other Peter News...
About a year ago we began the referral process for Peter to have his Autism assessed at Rochester-Mayo. He has been educationally diagnosed, but since we are so close to Rochester, we would also like to have a medical assessment done just to make sure that we are providing him the best therapy possible. He has made some great improvements in the past year while we have been waiting but he is still on the spectrum and "behind" his peers. The new clinic in Rochester--The Mayo Clinic Dana Child Development and Learning Disorders Program--is the top ranked facility for Autism assessment in the world. We are confident that no stone will be left unturned after pursuing this! Anways, this past week they told me on the phone that the wait would be another 6 months or so. We were bummed but took the news as we have every other hurdle. Then they called me yesterday to say that there was a cancellation and that Peter can get his first appointment in tomorrow! So...

After work today Ben is picking me up and we are going to drive to Ben's parents place and stay there tonight. This is due to the fact that they live 40 miles north of Rochester. Then we will have a 4 hour appointment in the morning. The rest of the appointments will take place April 2nd-7th. We will be seeing doctors in Developmental Behavioral Pediatrics, Otorhinolaryngology (hearing), Medical Genetics and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. When it is all said and done they will have a conference with us to explain their findings. We are looking forward to them providing us any other information that will be of benefit to us as we continue to work with Peter. Maybe they will be able to give us advice about the best kind of environment for Peter prior to Kindergarten when we move up to East Grand Forks.

It has been a long road. We aren't looking forward to the chaos we are facing in the next month, but we are glad to be getting this accomplished before the move. Keep us in your prayers, especially so that Peter won't put up too much of a fight at all the apointments!

As soon as we know anything, I will post it here.