On Wednesday, August 8th, Haley and I were with Peter in the early evening before Ben got home from work. Haley was playing with Peter and I was vacuuming. Peter tripped and fell and landed on a toy that has a sharp wooden edge. His teeth cut open the skin right below his lower lip. Peter started to bleed so Haley and I took him into the ER where he got stitches. Ben was just walking in the door when we were about to leave and he was filthy from work so he didn't have to come...lucky, huh? Peter got 4 stitches under his lip. He was a trooper, that's for sure! He only cried during the time that he was strapped down to receive the actual stitches. He didn't cry for the numbing gel or anything....he was just mad about being strapped down and forced to remain still! It was a 3 hour ordeal with the 4 actual stitches themselves taking a half hour. It was sort of traumatic for him but he didn't seem to remember a thing by the next morning. As a mother, I was completely fine as we've dealt with worse situations in his life up to this point...Haley felt pretty bad, mostly because she's not a "hospital" person and she didn't like seeing Peter unhappy. I kept reminding her that kids fall and get hurt all the time...No child goes their whole life without getting scathed at some point or another! I was very proud of her. She handled her first ER trip like a champion!! As you can see from the photo below, she stayed tough with one of Peter's toys...The next 2 photos show (hardly) the little cut under his lip and then photo following that shows his actual stitches. It was a pretty minor incident, compared to most!
Then on Sunday, August 13th, Ben and I celebrated our 3 year wedding anniversary. Ben's mom watched Peter and Ben surprised me the whole day:
First, he took me to the Minneapolis Institute of Art and we ate brunch in their cafe. Then we looked at a few exhibits. The Andy Warhol's and Chuck Close pieces were my absolute favorites! Then we went to the park across the street for "Drawing in Nature". Ben had researched it on the internet. It's a thing that they do every Sunday in the summertime at the MIA. We each got an easel and anything that we wanted to draw with (we both picked plain old graphite) and we drew in the park for 2 hours! It was awesome! Totally my dream date! You can see our drawings below...Can you see one that I did? And what Ben did?
Then Ben went to the van and came back to the bench we were sitting on. He read me a very nice 5 page letter that he hand wrote and then surprised me with a gift...a 30GB iPod w/ video! It's something that I've wanted for a really long time but nothing we could ever afford. Well, Ben secretly took money out of his paychecks all summer long and saved up enough to buy it for me. I was totally shocked! I was bawling like a baby in the park. You would have thought it was an engagement scene! Haha! Anyways, it was a very nice anniversary...Ben was very romantic and planned a perfect day for me! I guess I owe him one now...
This past Wednesday-Sunday we went up to my aunt and uncle's lake cabin up in Cass Lake, MN. The weather was decent. We didn't do anything exciting, mostly just relaxed and hung out with my parents. It was a blast though, and it was nice to get out of town to do absolutely NOTHING!
The students on campus here at MSU are coming back this week and Ben starts his teaching job soon...we are gearing up for fall. The summer has gone by so very fast! Hopefully we'll have more exciting news to post soon...Take care!