Hello World...
Wow, I don't often say this -- but where has the time gone? For as busy as I have been in my life, I don't think there has been a month that has gone faster than this past November. I normally always take time out of life's busy-ness to reflect -- but I passed up the entire month of November and didn't blog once. Shame on me!
I will admit that I was a work-aholic this past month. Time with Ben and Peter was spent on the fly. The Fall is a very busy season for youth ministry with November being the busiest. I had 2 youth nights, a junior high retreat and the logistical planning for the Sacrament of Confirmation for 48 students. Oh, and a minor holiday -- THANKSGIVING! At least I know what's in store for me next year. :) The good news is I LOVE MY JOB and the busy-ness didn't feel like a bad thing. I guess that means I'm serving exactly where God wants me.
Where to begin? Halloween was a blast! Peter went as Spongebob. Of course my photos of Halloween are on my other computer so those will have to wait a little bit longer. Boring, huh? Peter got a nickname of PeterBob GergenPants when he dressed up! It's so great that he attends preschool in the same building I work in because I got invited by his teacher to sit in the classroom during "spooky story time" and I got to watch them march in their hallway costume parade. Peter got tons of candy of course...His favorite candy is suckers. I don't mind him having them -- as long as he is naked and in a bubble. His hands get so sticky and he sets his sucker down wherever he feels like it....
In November there was Parent Night at preschool (instead of conferences). So all the parents went to school with their children one evening and followed along as though it was actually a school day. Many different children had special responsibilities and that day it was Peter's day to dress the weather bear. It was 40 degrees outside and the weather bear was wearing an outfit for the beach -- but hey -- I guess Peter has caught on to how tough we are up "nort". We got to meet Peter's closest friends and experience all the songs and dances they do throughout the day. Peter is really into puzzles and mechanical toys so he showed us all of his favorites. He absolutely LOVES preschool and we feel so blessed that he is in such an amazing place with an amazing teacher. We love you, Mrs. Hammond!!
For Thanksgiving we left on Wednesday night and drove to Randolph. We got there about midnight. On Thursday we spent the day with the extended Gergen clan and the evening with all the Wellmans. It was so great to see everyone! My throat was sore at the end of the night from chatting! (Imagine that...) Peter did awesome! He found regular sized Lego's (he had only seen the big Duplo's before) at Great Aunt Barb's house and fell in love with them. I think Santa has decided to bring him some of those now... Friday afternoon we left Randolph and had lunch in Apple Valley with some good friends, then headed home. We were home by 9pm or so. Saturday I had to work as it was Confirmation rehearsal. Sunday was Confirmation Day! It was a great mass and celebration. I feel so lucky to have such a rewarding job. After mass we had the first-ever ice cream social with the Bishop. It was a great success and I plan on having it each year for the students and their families! However, later that day Ben took me to Urgent Care where I discovered I have kidney stones. They aren't much fun. That's all I will say about that. On top of it I had a head cold so the very end of the weekend was difficult. I spent the early part of this week recovering. Now that December is here I think I'm doing better!
We are just at the tail end of decorating our house and tree...we are going to try and get a majority of our Christmas shopping taken care of this weekend. I'm finally getting ready to prepare for Christmas. Spiritually it hasn't been a problem -- but I feel a little behind on all the rest of it. But, December 4th isn't half bad...right??
I hope you are all doing well as you too prepare for Christmas. Come back again soon as I promise to update a bit more often. :)